|We live in Bragar, on the west
side of Lewis, between the Atlantic and the Lewis peatlands. Our
house was built in the 1950's - before that, people in this area lived
in thatched houses built of local stone. In Arnol, the next
village to Bragar, one of these houses has been preserved and is run as
a museum by Historic Scotland
We are beginning a project "Lost Names of Bragar" in which we intend to document place names from the local moorland which have never been recorded on a any map, and create an artwork for each. The moorland has been heavily used throughout history, and each feature, however small, is named. Many of these names are now being forgotten, and the current windfarm proposals threaten to destroy the physical features of the landscape as well.